Saturday, January 8, 2011

Gluten free isn't so easy after all...

Looks like a really nice yummy cake, right?

The same sister-in-law I tried making almond milk for I'm trying to learn to bake gluten-free for. I've read all about it and I've purchased several non-wheat flours and xanthan and guar gums and starches and all sorts of gluten-free baking stuff. I've got a list of recipes to try out. For some reason though, running short on time tonight I decided that it would be a great time to write my own recipe. This was not the best idea I've ever had.

Microwave cakes are pretty darn delicious, and so simple, I figured "Ooooh, wouldn't it be nice if I came up with a gluten-free microwave cake?" And sure, it's a nice idea, but this feeble attempt failed greatly. It might look like cake, it might even smell like cake, but it tastes like I imagine newspaper would.

Not that you should repeat my mistake, but here is what I did

Ingredients:
3 tbl cocoa powder
2 tbl sorghum flour 
1/2 tsp potato starch
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 tbl powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tbl butter
1-2 tbl chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
  1. I used my 2-cup liquid measure, and mixed together all the dry ingredients. If this were a tasty recipe you'd want to make sure they're well combined so that the starch and baking soda can make sure it rises well and to do that they need to be evenly distributed. This rose really well and made a very pretty looking cake...so I know I've got that part down.
  2. Cut the butter up into as small of pieces as you can and add it along with the egg and vanilla
  3. Use a fork and mix it for 1 minute, beating it as much as you can, to make sure it is mixed up really well
  4. Then I put it in the microwave on high for 2 minutes, but it was clearly done before 1.5 minutes.
  5. And now it's finished, don't eat, and please throw away
  6. This is only attempt one, and I'm sorry that all I've got for you tonight is a really gross gluten-free cake. At least my pictures turned out pretty well.


Do any of you bake gluten-free? Do you have any suggestions for successful baked goods? I'd love to hear what you have to say!
And did you see? I have a twittery thing now! Follow me and stuff.
    It really rose well, more than doubled in volume

No comments:

Post a Comment