Monday, January 3, 2011

Freezer biscuits of the whole wheat variety


These biscuits are still a work in progress, but what we have here has become a favorite of my husband, so I figure I'll share it with you. (Also, it is really cold and I don't want to spend any more time in my kitchen)

The bulk section at Waremart is one of my favorite places, occasionally they'll have a strange new ingredient for me to try out. This time it was whole wheat pastry flour, and these biscuits were my unfortunate test subject. 

I have not done too much baking with whole wheat, I have nothing against it aside from it's texture, but having those poky little not quite ground into powder bits is really not something I enjoy... So, once I bought the flour and brought it home and examined it and realized that it still had the same texture I was quite disappointed. For some reason I assumed that it would be more finely ground since it was pastry flour. (But really it just has a higher protein content)

I decided to use it anyway, the biscuits turned out with very good flavor, but slightly dry, and I still don't enjoy the texture, but dipped in gravy they were good. Tim loves them, but he'd probably live off of whole wheat if he could get away with it. I will be trying again in the future to get a less gainy texture...

Recipe:
4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
5 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 stick butter softened
1 egg (beaten)
1 1/2 cups milk
Extra butter for the tops of the biscuits (optional)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425° F if you're going to bake them right away
  2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl.
  3. Add in the butter and mix until crumbly
  4. Mix in the beaten egg and the milk
  5. Use a large cookie baller to section out balls of dough them squish them down to 1/2 inch thick with your fingers or the bottom of a glass
  6. Spread a tiny bit of extra butter on the top of each biscuit before freezing or baking
  7. If freezing stick them, still on the cookie sheet, into the freezer for 2-3 hours then transfer them to an air tight container (a bag, tupperware, whatever) and use in 2 months
  8. To bake them put them in for 10-12 minutes (subtract two minutes if they're not frozen)
  9. I sadly don't have a picture of the finished product because for some reason I decided that wasn't important, I'm probably just losing my mind.
    Do you have any tips for baking with whole wheat flours and not getting that gritty texture? If you do, or if you've got any other suggestions comment! I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment