Monday, November 15, 2010

Kelsey's Guest Post - Apple-Cherry Crumble Bars

Today Little Frosted Adventures will be featuring a guest post by a friend of mine whose photos of her fantastic baked creations and kitchen savvy always leave me wanting the recipe.



Martha Stewart is pretty much my Jesus, so of course her magazine and cookbooks are like my bible. Her Apple-Cherry Crumble Bars are probably one of my favorite fall recipes. I almost died when I tried them for the first time and still have people bugging me about when I’ll make them again so they can come over – not for my company, but for my delicious cookies. They’re so comforting and yummy and so easy to make!

Makes 2 dozen
  • 3 cups dried apples, about 7 ounces (I can never find dried apples so I just use fresh cut up into small cubes without the skin)
  • 3/4 cup dried cherries, about 4 1/2 ounces
  • 1 3/4 cups apple cider
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for dish

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with Pam, or your favorite non-stick spray, or if you like the old-fashioned way, butter it!



2. Simmer apples, cherries, and cider in a saucepan, stirring occasionally, until fruits are softened and plump, about 5 minutes (depending on your kind of stove, my gas stove could take weeks, believe me). Drain the juices, reserving about 2 tablespoons. Let cool.

3. Combine with 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and reserved juice.


(This is my new addition to my collection of pyrex - A 1940s green primary bowl. I'm completely in love)

4. Whisk together oats, flour, baking soda, salt, the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl.



5. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs range in size from pea to gumballs (but honestly I never cut in cold butter, they always tell you to do it that way and it just frustrates me because it takes forever. Just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds until it’s soft and manageable).


(My other new addition, a beautiful orange 9x13 pyrex baking dish)

6. Press 4 cups of mixture into bottom of prepared dish.
Spread fruit filling on top, leaving a 1/4-inch border on all sides. Sprinkle remaining oat mixture on top.


7. Bake until brown, which is about 35 minutes.
Then let it cool on a wire rack and cut into 24 bars. Then enjoy, of course!


No comments:

Post a Comment